Standard Operating Procedures for Cleaning and Disinfection of Dental Handpieces
1. The dentist steps on the foot brake and flushed the lumen for 30 s after each treatment.
2. The user removes the contaminated dental handpiece in time, wipes the visible dirt on the surface of the dental handpiece with a wet cotton ball in time, and puts it in the recovery container of the polluted equipment in the clinic for temporary storage.
3. The cleaning staff counted and collected the used dental handpieces and sent the contaminated equipment recovery containers to the cleaning room.
(A) clean without automatic dental handpiece washing machine
1. Rinse: Rinse the dental handpiece under flowing water to remove surface contaminants.
2. Washing: After rinsing, soak with enzyme cleaner for 2 to 5 minutes, then scrub. After washing some dental handpieces, put them into an ultrasonic cleaner and wash them with enzymes for 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Rinse: After washing, rinse or brush under running water. The lumen is flushed with a high-pressure water gun or syringe.
4. Final rinse: After rinsing, rinse with soft water, purified water or distilled water. The lumen is flushed with a high-pressure water gun or syringe.
5. After cleaning, put the dental handpiece in the net basket and prepare to dry.
(Two) cleaning with automatic dental handpiece washing machine
1. Check the working performance of the automatic cleaning machine and whether the enzyme cleaning agent, neutralizer and brightener are sufficient.
2. Insert the dental handpiece heads one by one into the special jack of the dental handpiece washing machine smoothly for full and effective cleaning.
Take the dental handpieces out of the net basket or the washing machine one by one, use a high-pressure air gun or a syringe to blow dry the moisture on the surface of the pipe and the bearing of the rotor, or inject 75% ethanol to dry.
Disinfect the inside and outside surfaces of the handpiece with 75% ethanol.
Fifthly, internal maintenance
Use a full-automatic oiling device to inject a special dental handpiece cleaning lubricant into the handpiece. If manual oiling is used, a spray-type cleaning lubricant should be used.
After oiling, the appearance of the instrument should be wiped dry in a timely manner. The lumen should be mechanically dried and dried with a pressure air gun.
Check the cleanliness and performance of the dried dental handpiece and equipment with visual inspection or magnifying glass with light source.
Paper-plastic single packing should be used, and sealed with medical heat sealer. For other packaging and packaging procedures, please refer to the Standard Operating Procedures for Reusing Surgical Instrument Packaging.
1. Pre-vacuum pressure steam sterilizer is preferred for sterilization.
(1) Can’t be stacked when loading, the packaged dental handpieces should be placed in the tray in turn, a certain gap should be kept between each dental handpiece, and the paper face up, which is conducive to steam penetration and drying.
(2) Strictly control sterilization temperature, pressure and time. Temperature> 135 ° C or sterilization time exceeding the specified time can damage components such as dental handpiece sealing rubber rings and bearing bead sleeves.
2. If it is sterilized by a rapid cassette pressure steam sterilizer, it can be sterilized without packaging.
3. Other low temperature sterilizers such as ethylene oxide and hydrogen peroxide plasma can also be used for sterilization.
1. If there is a package, the name of the article, the sterilizer number, the sterilization batch, the sterilization date, the expiration date, and the operator’s signature or code should be indicated on the outside of the package, and placed in the aseptic container.
2. Bare sterilization should be stored in a sterilization box or a sterile container for later use. Once opened for use, the validity period does not exceed 4h.
The packaging must be intact when distributed. If it is found that the oil package or package is damaged, it shall be deemed as a pollution and shall not be distributed, and it shall be cleaned and sterilized again.
Twelfthly, matters needing attention
1. Do not immerse the handpiece in the disinfectant solution, so as not to corrode the parts inside the handpiece.
2. The paper surface of the paper-plastic composite packaging should be protected from being soaked with lubricating oil, so as not to affect the steam penetration during sterilization.
The following video allows you to learn more standard dental dental handpiece cleaning and disinfection process operation